Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Little Cobb Salad...


Every weekend as I hop on my bike I keep telling myself, "maybe NEXT weekend it will be warmer!" Our ride last weekend was 70 miles in the East Bay where we started from Pinole and rode through the rolling hills of Martinez, Orinda and Moraga up to Oakland Skyline and Grizzly Peak. I honestly thought I had overdressed, but later realized I needed every stitch of clothing to stay warm that day.

But enough about clothes. Let's talk about FOOD. My favorite subject.

Nutrition is very important, especially when riding for long distances. SO the first thing I do when I look at the route map for the day, is where are the SAG stops. When and what will I get to eat? Then I fill my pockets full of things like power bars, electrolyte tablets, gel shots... you know, emergency type stuff. It's like being a squirrel planning for the long winter. I own an "emergency" powerbar that has travelled over 500 miles with me this season, still waiting to be consumed.

I noticed that experienced cyclists tend to eat constantly. Meaning that if you have to stop at an intersection, there's enough time to stuff something in your mouth and keep the calories going. I really admire those cyclists since I have yet to master the ability to ride and chew at the same time (I am usually gasping for air). So I really look forward to those SAG stops and stuff my face with peanut butter sandwiches, potatoes, oranges, and almonds. Then the squirrel instinct kicks in and before I know it, my pockets are drooping with calories.

During triathlons (swim-bike-run), there is little opportunity to eat so most will try to replenish their calories while they are on the bike. I have seen some athletes take a powerbar, unwrap it, break it up into little gooey pieces, and stick them on the top of the handle bars of the bike, like wads of gum. They do this before the race even starts.

The most fun though, is the post-race "recovery" meal. I usually start thinking about this during the final miles of a ride, if not sooner. Actually, I think about food A LOT. The post-race meal should be consumed shortly after and will help replenish the tired muscles (uh huh). Invariably, my eyes are bigger than my stomach as evidenced by the photo of a Cobb salad that is the size of truck tire. Caloric intake is serious stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Now that's a COBB SALAD! I was wondering if perhaps you were planning on feeding the office with it! But...with all the exertion, you probably need every calorie in it. By the way, what is a "SAG stop"? My mind was racing with possibilities like "Stop And Gobble", "Seats And Gastronomy", "Slip A Gear", "Stretch And Groan"...but those probably don't hit the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Keith: In Europe, sag is a cycling term for a vehicle that sags behind the cyclists as a means to provide ride support. There's "wandering" sags and sag stations. In the United States, it somehow became an acronym that stands for "Support and Gear" but I think "stretch and groan" is probably more appropriate =)

    ReplyDelete